DIVIDED INTO 7: A HOMILY ON THE WEDNESDAY OF THE 27TH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME, YEAR II, BY FR. IFEANYICHUKWU HENRY NWOKORO, CSsR, IBADAN
The Lord’s Prayer, which we read in the Gospel today can be divided into 7 petitions. The first three has to do with our eternal destiny and our life in God. The last four has to do with our life on earth and our relationship with one another.
1. Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be your name
2. Your kingdom come
3. Your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven
4. Give us this day, our daily bread
5. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us
6. And lead us not into temptation
7. But deliver us from evil.
In a sense, this prayer enables us to fulfill the two great commandments, to love God above all things, and to love our neighbour as ourselves. Feel free to ask questions or share your thoughts on the Lord’s Prayer.